Thursday, March 22, 2012

Want To Get Along? Humble Yourself

If you want to stop the conflicts in your life and get along with others, learn to ask forgiveness from God and from those you hurt.

James 4:8 says, “Wash your hands and purify your hearts”.

Our hands represent our conduct, and our hearts represent our attitude.

Paul is basically saying: Clean up your act. Be sorry for your self-centeredness.

It is a big deal when someone you care about is hurt. Take it seriously. If someone says you hurt him, then you did. It may not be a big deal to you, but it was to him. Be willing to ask forgiveness.

Think of the person who causes the most conflict in your life. Would you consider resolving the conflict with that person? Are you willing to apologize for your part? Maybe he or she is 95% at fault, but your responsibility is to take care of your 5% and let God handle the rest.

How humbling would it be for you to say, “I know we’ve had our differences and I haven’t always been thoughtful. A lot of times I’ve thought more about myself than your needs.”

It wouldn’t just be humbling; it would be impossible without God’s grace.

The only way you’re going to change is to be humble, and the only way to be humble is to ask forgiveness.

The first step is the hardest, but it’s also the most important. It’s humbling, sure, but God gives grace to the humble. Maybe this week you need to write a letter or make a call. Take the first step.

God doesn’t want to keep you down on the ground. James 4:10 says, “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.”  The way to honor is humility.

I used to think the way to be honored by my wife and kids was to never admit that I was wrong. I figured if my kids thought I was wrong, they wouldn’t respect me any more. It wasn’t a surprise when I found out they already knew I wasn’t perfect. I found that the way I gained honor before my wife and kids was to admit I was wrong.

To be honored by your love ones and the Lord, you must humble yourself.

To stop the fighting, give in to God, get wise to Satan, grow closer to God, and be willing to ask forgiveness.


Talk About It
  • Think of the last time you were the recipient of someone’s humble apology. What impact did it have on your relationship with that person and with the Lord?
  • Is there someone you need to forgive today? Is there someone you need to go to and ask forgiveness?
  • Do you believe that God can restore a relationship that you have given up on? What do you think he wants you to do to help make that happen?

-R. Warren