Friday, July 6, 2012

Eliminate Negative Self-Talk

Long before psychology, God said your thoughts determine your feelings and your feelings determine your actions. If you want to change your life, you have to control the way you think.

You're constantly talking to yourself!  

Research indicates that most people speak at a rate of 150 to 200 words per minute, but the mind can listen to 500 to 600 words a minute. That's why you can listen and do something at the same time.  Our internal dialogue is at a rate of 1,300 words per minute. How? Because our mind sees in pictures, you can see a thought in a nanosecond! 

The problem is that a lot of us are like Job, who says, "Everything I say seems to condemn me" (Job 9:20).  He's saying, "Everything I say puts me down."

If you are typical to the human race, you are your own worst critic.

We often put ourselves down. When you say negative things, you're really pointing to the Creator who made you.

How do you eliminate negative self-talk so you can become a more confident person? 

The Bible teaches the principle of replacement.

Fix your thoughts on what's true, good and right. Think about the things you are thankful for and be glad.  In other words, don't think about your weaknesses. Focus on positivity.

"Father, thank you that I am valuable; I am significant; I am forgivable; I am capable."

Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts." (Proverbs 4:23 GN)

-DH